According to the official Topamax website, the common side-effects are numbness and tingling in the arms and legs, fatigue, taste change (food and drink tastes different), difficulty with concentration and difficulty with memory. Hair loss is not mentioned.
However, it is mentioned on the list of Topamax/Topirimate side-effects at MedlinePlus.com, an informative drug database and service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health.
More serious Topamax side effects are described in the manufacturers Important Safety Information section.
It doesn’t appear hair loss is mentioned anywhere, confirming the frustration of so many migraine sufferers, they didn’t expect it, making it all the more frustrating.
For online discussion on Topamax and hair loss you can visit popular health care forums such as Healthcare Central, or feedback appears to be correct as nowhere online does it mention hair-loss which appears to be commonly reported in online forums such as Health Central/Hair Loss & Topamax, or Women’s Hair Loss Project,
We often receive emails from patients informing us MigreLief was recommended to them in combination with Topamax. Although we have no knowledge of helping with hair loss specifically, MigreLief has been reported to work well with Topamax in the reduction of side-effects in some users.
MigreLief - 3 Formulas to Meet Everyone’s’ Needs
Available in Original Formula, Menstrual Migraine Formula and Children’s Formula, MigreLief may be taken by itself or safely combined with other migraine medications.
Regarding Topamax and hair loss…
Visiting online forums is a good way to read the stories of others who are experiencing the same dilemma and discover what is or isn’t working. Some people stated it could take a year for hair to grow back once stopping Topamax. Other people have had success with the following products and home remedies:
- Nioxin Shampoo - It is often recommended for cancer patients who lose their hair due to chemotherapy. It can be found in many retail stores, beauty supply stores and online.
- Rosemary Oil (herb) - Although it’s not clear how rosemary works for hair loss, applying it to the scalp irritates the skin and increases blood circulation. Using rosemary oil for hair loss is one of the most effective, natural solutions. Rosemary essential oil stimulates circulation to the scalp and destroys any bacteria that could clog hair follicles.
- Hot Oil Hair Treatment - Once a week use a hot oil treatment for your hair and scalp. Combine 5 drops of rosemary essential oil with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a small jar with a lid. Warm the oil-rosemary solution by placing the jar in a bowl of hot water (recently boiled) the oil is warm. Comb through damp hair. Wrap a bath towel around your head to keep in the heat and let stand for 20 minutes or more. The rosemary treatment and heat will increase circulation to the scalp and you should see an improvement with hair growth
- Rosemary for Daily Use - You may also use rosemary oil for hair loss on a daily basis through scalp massage and with daily shampooing. For a daily massage to stimulate new growth, add two drops of rosemary oil to one ounce of jojoba oil. Rub into the scalp for three minutes in the morning before showering. Another tip for nourishing your hair on a daily basis is to add rosemary to your shampoo or conditioner. Use one drop of oil for every four ounces of shampoo or conditioner. For hair loss, rosemary essential oil blends well with lavender, sage or peppermint. If blending, use half rosemary essential oil and half of your choice of another oil.
- Lavender & Other Essential Oils for Hair Growth – This is a treatment that has been recommended for people with Alopecia (a type of hair loss that occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks hair follicles, which is where hair growth begins.
In addition to medications, the following can also lead to hair loss:
- Hormonal changes, including menopause
- Increased production of DHT, a form of testosterone
- Alopecia, or pattern baldness
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Thyroid issues, especially in regards to an iodine deficiency
- Illness and medication
Biotin - is a member of the B-vitamin family known as Vitamin B7 and helps with cell growth and blood sugar maintenance. It has been proven to help hair grow stronger and longer and it also helps strengthen your nails.h It has even been shown to reverse premature graying. It is especially important to the skin cells as they are frequently replaced due to their exposure to the outside environment. Biotin also protects the nervous system, preventing seizures, ataxia and loss of muscle tone.
For hair loss in general, maintaining a healthy lifestyle will promote hair growth. Eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of sleep to regenerate cells and promote overall health is very important. Foods rich in iron, vitamin A & D are known for supporting healthy hair; spinach, bok-choy, carrots, sweet-potatoes, nuts, fish, chicken, and blueberries, to name a few, all will contribute to healthier hair. Taking MigreLief, drinking plenty of water, eating a healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals while avoiding stress and other well known migraine triggers when possible, will all contribute to a migraine preventive regimen better quality of life.
Follow the links below to additional online forums discussing hair loss and Topamax. Visit MigreLief.com for more information or to purchase MigreLief and be sure to use the discount coupon below.
- www.mdjunction.com/forums/migraine-headaches-discussions/general-support/10… I have been on 75mg of topamax for the past 8 months. I lost around 12 lbs. but I’ ve noticed that my hair has been falling out. I take many …
www.topix.com/forum/drug/topamax/TFRFH8A8NCDNCVMN2 – Similar to So sad to stop Topamax, but can’t deal with hair loss - Topix I’ve had every test there is and still have no diagnosis (possible MS? freak migraines?), but my neuro put me on Topamax. It was awesome.
www.medhelp.org/posts/Weight-Loss-Alternatives/Hair-loss-and-To… – Similar to Hair loss and Topamax - Weight Loss Alternatives – MedHelp Sep 4, 2006 … I have been prescribed Wellbutrin for depression and Topamax as a mood stabilizer. The combination worked very well for me and the bonus …
topamax.livejournal.com/29337.html Apr 4, 2007 … Topamax and Hair Loss. Greetings! My rheumatologist put me on 200 mg Topamax for fibromyalgia. I was on 100 mg topamax for migraines, …
forums.healthcentral.com/discussion/migraine/forums/a/tpc/f/6721031/m/66810… I’m super frustrated. Topamax is my 5th attempt at a migraine medication and I’m finally having success after daily migraines for months. I’m at …
www.healthcentral.com/migraine/c/9842/11130/topamax-hair-loss/ Jul 8, 2007 … I increased my dose to 300 mg about 3 months ago, and in the past month, it seems like my hair has been thinning out a little. This isn’t even … [ More results from www.healthcentral.com ]
thetopamaxtrip.yuku.com/topic/687 Nov 21, 2005 … I have been reading posts in various forums and am upset to hear that Topamax can also cause hair loss. I did a search on Web MD and this is …
forum.womenshairlossproject.com/showthread.php?t=2910 Has anyone else had hairloss due to Topamax? I’ve been told by one doc that’s what caused mine but I’m not convinced. If anyone else has …
www.crazymeds.us/CrazyTalk/index.php?/topic/15343-when-does-hair-loss-come-… I have been on it six months or so did not notice any side effects but people say they lost hair? wtf? Just wondering when would such a horrific …