* protect against heart disease
* help to prevent Type II diabetes
* help with Migraines
* provide antioxidant protection
* Protect against breast cancer
*Protect against childhood asthma
* Prevent gallstones
* Provide all 9 essential amino acid (protein building blocks)
* Provide healthy levels of dietary fiber and magnesium
Quinoa(pronounced keen-wa) is an ancient whole grain that has been recently rediscovered in the U.S. The Inca’s once held the crop to be sacred, calling it the ‘mother of all grains’.
Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain; an average of 16.2 percent, compared with 7.5 percent for rice and 14 percent for wheat. Unlike rice and potatoes, for which quinoa is an excellent replacement, it is a whole grain food source which results in many of the health benefits listed above. Quinoa is gluten-free and high in protein content, which also makes it a wonderful choice for vegetarians. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop in NASA’s long-duration manned spaceflights.
It is also a good source of magnesium and riboflavin, which are important ingredients in the natural migraine supplement, MigreLief. These ingredients have been shown to help relax blood vessels, encourage energy production within cells and reduce headache frequency.
Both the glycemic index and the glycemic load of quinoa (these are measurements of how various foods can impact your blood sugar levels) are favorable as well, when compared to rice or potatoes.
A half cup of cooked quinoa contains only about 110 calories and with its fiber content, makes it a good choice for those trying to watch their weight, as well
* Use quinoa as a side-dish replacing rice, potatoes or even pasta
* Many health food stores carry quinoa sourced pasta noodles
* With nuts and fruits, quinoa makes an excellent porridge
* Quinoa can be added to vegetable soups
Try quinoa, not only for its multiple health benefits but for its taste and texture. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised and pleased to add it to your family’s diet, as a very welcomed addition.
To the best of health,
Curt Hendrix, B.S. M.S. C.C.N. C.N.S.